Hotmail is a free email service provided by Microsoft Corporation. It is one of the world’s first web based email services. Founded in 1996 by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith, Hotmail was later acquired by Microsoft in 1997 for an estimated price of $400 million. Microsoft re-launched the original HoTMaiL as MSN Hotmail and later rebranded it to Windows live Hotmail. Now, it is a part of the Windows live suite.
As of 2012, Hotmail with 360 million users, is the world’s second largest web based email service after Gmail. It is available in as many as 36 languages. The latest update in 2013 is that, Hotmail has been replaced with Outlook.com, which features Microsoft’s Metro design language. The new version has a close resemblance to the Microsoft Outlook interface. Other advantages include unlimited storage, Ajax and integrated Calendar, SkyDrive, Contacts and live messenger.
How to Sign Up for Hotmail Account
With the introduction of Outlook.com, Hotmail’s features have also gained a boost. Increased file attachment size, ability to view, edit and share documents online, real time document collaboration, conversation view, better mobile experience etc are just a few among the new advantages.
- At par with Gmail, the A-level security feature will be active throughout the entire logged in period, i.e.; when logging in and browsing.
- Free Microsoft office web apps available. Customize your docs and ppts on Hotmail cloud and save them to SkyDrive automatically.
- Collaborate with friends or colleagues to edit a document. You can view the number of people editing in real time and the changes that they have made on Hotmail itself.
- Increased attachment size. Integrated SkyDrive makes it possible to send files as heavy as 10 GB. This feature could well be Hotmail’s answer to Gmail’s Google docs.
- One click filters for your mail box.
- Search auto-complete
- Conversation view for back and forth emails.
- Manage inbox clutter with ‘Sweep’.
- ‘Spam’ and ‘Grey Mail’ for newsletters and marketing promotions.
- Chatting within the Hotmail Interface.
- Activesync for accessing mail through your smartphone.
Also read: PayPal Sign Up and Paypal Sign In
Now that you know all about the new Hotmail or Outlook.com, let’s see how to sign up and get started on your own free ID
Hotmail.Com Sign Up :
- Go to www.outlook.com
- Click on ‘Try Now’ or ‘Sign Up’
- Fill in your Details and click ‘I accept’
- The website’s Guide will take you through the various features. Follow the instructions to set up your inbox, connections with other networks etc.
- You can syn your account with your smartphone too.
- If you already have a Hotmail account and just want to change your address, you can login and customize your settings.
- You can also inmport your contacts from other mail accounts, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.
Hotmail Sign in :
- Go to www.login.live.com
- Enter your email ID and Password
- Click ‘Sign In’.