News about an Amber and GDR2 update for Nokia Lumia 920/820 has been doing the rounds recently among the users and techies. Much to the relief of the anticipators, it is now live on the Nokia Updates page. It is already being made available India and is slowly spreading across the globe.
As per the Nokia updates page, the Amber upgrade is being made available to unlocked variants of Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 now.
Update Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 to Amber GDR2 | OTA Update
GDR2 is actually Windows Phone 8 (Build: 10327) and higher. It packs FM radio support, Xbox Music fixes, Data sense, call/SMS filters and other storage fixes plus minor improvements. Amber is Nokia’s accompanying firmware that comes with new camera features like Smartcam, Glance and flip to silence features etc.
You can check the over-the-air update by following this path: Settings > Phone Update
Or check availability in your region or Lumia model here
In case you haven’t received the update on your phone yet, you can manually upgrade with an unofficial version. However, this will reformat/reflash your Lumia device. Create backups for data and apps before you attempt this.
Follow these steps carefully to manually update your Lumia phone to Amber GDR2 –
- Download Nokia software updater for retailers from here
- Install the downloaded software.
- Backup all your phone data including contacts and messages to your PC.
- Connect your Phone to the PC.
- Run installed Nokia Software Updater for Retailer.
- Click on ‘Upgrade’.
- The Updater will now download Nokia Amber files from the Nokia Server.
- It is approximately a 1.3 GB file for Nokia Lumia 920.
- Wait for the download to complete.
- Do not unplug your Lumia device and start flashing process.
Your Nokia Lumia phone is now updated with Nokia Amber GDR2.